WHAT TO DO:

1. Post a blog each week of at least 200 words. You could:
-describe something you learned that week
-explain something that surprised you about the week
-provide an update about projects you're working on
-explain how you solved a problem

Include images or video that you shoot on project-the combination of words and images is what makes a post interesting

2. Comment on one of your classmates' posts. Show your interest in what your classmate is doing on his/her project; make good feelings!

Let's agree that all blog posts are due by the end of the day on the last three Mondays during May, which means the first post is due by the end of the day on Monday, May 10. Happy blogging!

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Week Three at WOIO

As a whole, the week wasn't that busy for me, but Friday was definitely something special. For one, I was on TV in this video!



That video was a portion of the 5 o'clock news from Friday night (5/21). We shot the clips of Tony and Bob Golic and the Bernie Kosar thing earlier that day. And, for those wondering, I only needed two takes for that, ha.

I also was able to meet and interview Bernie Kosar and Bob Golic for my project that I'm doing with Tony Zarella. It was sort of nerve racking to meet both of them, as they are true Cleveland Browns legends. However, I was prepared with my list of questions and even though we didn't have much time with them, Tony let me ask as many questions as we had time for. After we finished the interview with Kosar, Tony had me start writing the script for the package. It was really awesome to just sit and write something that is going to eventually be on the air. He would check in on me every so often to see how it was going, and the first time he read the first few paragraphs, he said something to the effect of "Wow Myles, this is good enough to be a column!"

Later he and I were talking to his wife, Denise (who also works at 19 Action News as a reporter) and he told her that most college interns can't handle themselves and conduct interviews like I did with Kosar and Golic. Obviously, that was really nice to hear.

The other highlight of the week came from talking to anchors Paul Joncich (4:30 & 5:30) and Denise Dufala (4, 6, 11). Their cubicles are connected in sort of a triangle formation with Tiffani Tucker's desk, and because she doesn't work Thursdays or Fridays (it's her weekend, since she anchors the weekend newscasts) they put me at her desk to use the computer. Both of them are so nice, and they're also really funny. Thursday, Paul showed Denise and I this youtube video of an unfortunate college anchor who doesn't usually do sports and then his teleprompter went out. He thought it was hilarious; Denise just felt bad for him. Then she told me about how when she first auditioned for a news station, she did weather. The thing about weather is that it's all ad-libbing - you really have to memorize what you're going to say for 2 and a half minutes. She said she just couldn't handle it, she freaked out, hyperventilated and was just a complete mess. Then told me that it happens to the best of us, and to not worry if it happens on my first audition since everything gets better with experience. She is so incredibly nice, and I really appreciated that advice.

As far as I can tell, my package on Cleveland Flameouts will probably air the last week of project since we'll be finishing interviews this week. I'll let you know when there's a set date.

-Myles

No comments:

Post a Comment