WHAT TO DO:

1. Post a blog each week of at least 200 words. You could:
-describe something you learned that week
-explain something that surprised you about the week
-provide an update about projects you're working on
-explain how you solved a problem

Include images or video that you shoot on project-the combination of words and images is what makes a post interesting

2. Comment on one of your classmates' posts. Show your interest in what your classmate is doing on his/her project; make good feelings!

Let's agree that all blog posts are due by the end of the day on the last three Mondays during May, which means the first post is due by the end of the day on Monday, May 10. Happy blogging!

Monday, May 24, 2010

End of ReCreation/ Part 2 of Project

This week wrapped up the first part of my project at ReCreation and GaREAT. This week involved finishing the various projects I had been researching. This included researching the history of a company called Golfsmith, which is now nationwide. Golfsmith has made it possible for golf supply stores, like Golf Galaxy, as well as pro shops and such to make clubs custom fit for the buyers. The owner of Golfsmith designed the machinery to be able to make the clubs to the exact measurements necessary for someone to have all the possible advantages with their own clubs. I found this really interesting as I did not know much about the company before this and as a golfer I can definitely identify with having your own custom fit clubs, it makes all the difference.

My bigger project for the week was writing a proposal from the marching band research I had done. In the future GaREAT is hoping to host some of those national band competitions as it would be the perfect place with all the amenities and space available without having to go off site. My proposal was a plan for how I would go about this project and how we can promote the amenities at GaREAT to a group called Bands of America. BOA is responsible for organizing all of the national competitions as well as working with schools to promote their music programs. Jeff, my sponsor, was very pleased with the proposal and told me that one day when I come back things that I researched would be in place. I was happy that I could contribute and help with projects that actually mattered in the scheme of things.

Monday and Wednesday I was out at GaREAT and I sat in various meetings with those in charge of IT. They were all very friendly and I have gotten to know the one guy, Sydney, who is taking over IT operations. A lot of the discussion was over my head in regards to the technology and wiring that is involved in the facility; however every one that I’ve met that has just toured GaREAT for the first time is completely overwhelmed. In respect to the IT everyone in that field is amazed at the how well planned the building was in order to plan for all IT problems like wireless internet, the phone system, and eventually wireless video. Being in charge of IT is a big job and up until this point it has been run by the IT people from Nordic Air, the company that the CEO owns. The meetings were mostly about how they will transition that over to Sydney and what aspects of the wireless they still have to deal with.

I am sad to leave my project with ReCreation as everyone has been really nice and fun to work with. Jeff and his partner Brad are great guys and I would recommend anyone who wants to do their senior project with them. Although half of it was office work, it wasn’t filing or doing mindless tasks as someone people find themselves doing, it was interesting projects that allowed you to used your creativity. I look forward to the second part of my project in Boston and I’m excited to see if the medical field is really what I want to do with my life.

1 comment:

  1. So jealous that you get to go to Boston! But your projects at GaREAT sounded really interesting.

    ReplyDelete