WHAT TO DO:

1. Post a blog each week of at least 200 words. You could:
-describe something you learned that week
-explain something that surprised you about the week
-provide an update about projects you're working on
-explain how you solved a problem

Include images or video that you shoot on project-the combination of words and images is what makes a post interesting

2. Comment on one of your classmates' posts. Show your interest in what your classmate is doing on his/her project; make good feelings!

Let's agree that all blog posts are due by the end of the day on the last three Mondays during May, which means the first post is due by the end of the day on Monday, May 10. Happy blogging!

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Week One

This week has sort of been weird for me on project, as I've probably spent more time at school with AP tests and the Spring Theater Project. However, everyone I've worked with so far at Channel 19 Action News has been extremely welcoming and seems to really appreciate that I'm there to help them. I actually haven't seen my sponsor, Sharon Reed, yet because I was working daytime hours, but I have been working closely with executive producer Tamu Thomas, who happens to be one of my mom's patients. The first day I was there, I also learned that one of the other executive producers, Brian Sinclair, is having a baby with his wife and is also my mom's patient. So it's nice to know that I have people there to take care of me besides my sponsor.

Anyway, so far I have mostly helped out with their facebook/twitter/online page. Meteorologist Jeff Tanchek is camping outside Quicken Loans Arena because he is...well a "Super Fan" of the Cavs. Mrs. Thomas had gone down to shoot some raw video of Tanchek for their website, and I helped put up this video.



I have also been doing a lot with the "Community Calendar." WOIO has a website set up where people can enter events that go on in the community, and they could possibly be featured on the news. People send the station a lot of fliers and e-mails, and it's the responsibility of one of the producers to put them online. She taught me how to do it on Friday then she repeatedly told me how much she appreciated it and how much time it was saving her. I felt accomplished.

It's also been great to sit in the control room and be on headset for the 12 o'clock news. It's not necessarily as involved as the 4,5, or 6 o'clock at the station, but it's still amazing to see the raw footage of what people will watch in their homes and offices.

-Myles

1 comment:

  1. Hey Miles,

    Thanks for breaking the ice! It's fun to read what you're up to and also to imagine your place in the spotlight someday!

    ReplyDelete